Axalta is a leading global company focused solely on coatings and providing customers with innovative, colorful, beautiful and sustainable solutions. From light OEM vehicles, commercial vehicles and refinish applications to electric motors, buildings and pipelines, our coatings are designed to prevent corrosion, increase productivity and enable the materials we coat to last longer. With 150 years of experience in the coatings industry, the 13,000 people of Axalta continue to find ways to serve our more than 120,000 customers in 130 countries better every day with the finest coatings, application systems and technology. For more information visit axaltacoatingsystems.com and follow us @axalta on Twitter and on LinkedIn
1. Understand and live by Axalta’s core operating principles of SHE, ethics, people treatment and quality.
2. Develop recipes for products following APQP process.
3. Work with application team to develop application line simulation parameters to ensure that line trials and product introductions are right first time.
4. Communicate with account teams to ensure that all project team members are fully up-to-date with technical progress on projects.
5. Work with operations to define process instructions for manufacture of products. Will require basic understanding of our manufacturing processes.
6. Lead new / modified product alignment (scale up) into production, following the agreed alignment procedure.
7. When relevant, a chemist is responsible for finding suitable rework routes for using up distressed inventory or other non-productive inventory to minimize the financial impact of poor quality.
8. Keep test specifications and test methods up to date, develop new specifications and methods as required. Aim to minimize the amount of testing needed to meet our customers’ requirements.
9. Ensure all project documentation is completed properly and in full and available for any internal or external quality audits.
10. Attend line trials of new product launches at customer sites.
11. Lead or take active role in problem solving of customer issues using appropriate methodology, eg. 8D.
12. Train and supervise technicians, plan work for the technician to keep them fully occupied with appropriate tasks.
1. B.S. or Master Degree in Polymer chemistry or material science.
2. Minimum 5 years’ experience in R&D, preferably in coating industry. Experience on OEM high bake technology will be a plus.
3. Good computer skills including office, database, and statistics
4. Six Sigma Green or Black belt trained / certified is preferred
5. Capability and desire to seek input from all levels of manufacturing and technical organizations
6. Strong verbal and written command of the English language is a must because Axalta is a multi-national company where business is conducted primarily in English.