Axalta Coating Systems is seeking a PhD level Senior Scientist to join its global Axalta Research and Development team at Global Innovation Center (GIC) located in the located in Philadelphi, PA in the Philadelphia Navy Yard. The ARD group develops and supports high performance coatings for the automotive refinish, light vehicle/OEM, commercial transportation, and general industrial markets.
The Senior Scientist will advance our fundamental understanding of coatings technology and will develop improved coating formulations in support of Axalta’s growth initiatives. This includes linking desired product attributes to fundamental structure-property behavior in the coating, formulating coating compositions to control this behavior, characterizing paint systems through various measurement techniques, and providing technical support to manufacturing and customers as necessary.
Job Responsibilities of the Senior Scientist:
- Develop coating formulas to meet targeted performance, application / appearance, film properties, and cost specifications
- Organize objectives, set milestones and deliver results against aggressive timelines, according to the New Product Development process
- Collaborate with a global, multifunctional team in the development, scale-up, and commercialization of novel coating systems for key markets
- Devise new and creative approaches to solve problems and to advance product performance and technology. Design experiments to build technical understanding
- Develop intellectual property protection for inventions
- Contribute to translating customer and market requirements into new projects targeted for growth in traditional and adjacent markets
- Document and communicate technical progress and innovations in laboratory notebooks, and through reports and presentations, both internally and externally
- Maintain a clear and up-to-date understanding of customer and market needs, technical literature and competitive landscape
- Supervise technician(s), organize work flow, including setting and meeting key deadlines, and adhere to core values, including safe work practices
- Comply with all requirements for laboratory safety, quality, and regulations